Akiko's Closet: Lover's Shrine

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


There isn't a whole lot I love about this town besides my family, Sonoran hot dogs and the monsoons. It's true. There just isn't much here that tickles my fancy but then there are these quirky little spots, that really I haven't discovered until now, that make it a little bit of a special place.
Tucked away in the old Barrio (which is a cool neighborhood on its own) is El Tiradito Shrine. The old brick wall is surrounded by candles, flowers, and random memorabilia people leave there in prayer. There are tons of stories that explain why its there some including tragic love triangles and forbidden love but what is known for certain is that this is the only Catholic shrine dedicated to a buried sinner in the country. Now I think people just make it what they want it to be, lighting candles and praying for loved ones. The crumbling wall is full of little notes probably prayers and stories of lost love. I think these days it's hard to find places with meaning like this here, especially if you're not religious.
For us it made a great backdrop to get some great pics. We didn't light a candle or say a prayer (although Koji did pull some flowers and moved some stuff around which I am hoping is not bad juju) but we enjoyed it nonetheless. And doesn't he just look so fabulous and Dia de Los Muertos in skulls? I think so.

wearing:
top: Urban Outfitters
shorts: DIY cut-offs
shoes: Blowfish Boots (that I won in a contest earlier this year!)
skull bracelet: Mahlia Collection

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Simple yet catchy outfit. Loved the pics n the backdrop. Koji is adorable as always :)

    ReplyDelete